Impact of SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
funds are being used to support and ensure the sustainability of the leading cancer research initiatives at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. A big focus is on the Personalized Cancer Medicine program.
We have four general areas where these funds are directed (within the various cancer site groups):
Detecting cancer earlier
Diagnosing with more precision
- Developing and testing better imaging equipment so small tumours can be seen more clearly
- Identifying unique ‘markers’ of cancers that can be detected in blood and serum tests
Targeting treatment for each patient
- Developing new equipment and procedures that determine the specific genetic mutations or changes that gave rise to a patient’s cancer
- Finding the right information to be able to recommend the optimal combination of drug and other therapies for successfully treating each patient.
Supporting patients and families throughout their cancer journey
- Improving surgical, radiation and drug treatments will target only the cancer and leave healthy tissue alone, minimizing toxic side effects.
- Our scientists and doctors are testing new treatments that can more effectively detect and eradicate cancer cells leading to more durable cures.
Being well-informed about their disease, the treatment they will receive and the side effects that can be expected gives patients and their families more confidence, reduces anxiety and leads to improved quality of life. Our award-winning survivorship, patient education and psychosocial support programs need to be expanded so that more patients can be empowered throughout their personal cancer journey.
The Princess Margaret is home to an All-Star team of talent, from doctors and researchers to nurses and support staff, each playing a pivotal role in developing and implementing the most promising programs in the battle against cancer. The labs and equipment that are funded, in part, by events like SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
, empower researchers to help make the discoveries and advancements in cancer treatment therapies possible.